Office relocation companies may charge by the square foot, or by a combination of the overall space, the number of employees, the number of truckloads, or the type of products being transferred. The price is also affected by the quantity and size of the materials moved.
Costs are typically as follows:
- Depending on the number of things carried, moving the contents of a 1,500-square-foot office costs $750-$4,500. At the highest end of the scale is a legal or accounting office with a large number of files, or an office with modular parts that must be disassembled. A virtually paperless business with less furniture will be less expensive.
- Packing and moving a 3,000-square-foot office might cost anywhere from $1,500 to $9,000, depending on how many files and furniture there are.
- Moving a large, 10,000-square-foot office costs roughly $5,000 to $30,000 for businesses with a high number of employees and workstations to relocate.
- Office transfers cost $500-$1,500 each truckload, depending on the amount of time it takes to load, the difficulty, and the number of movers. The average truck charge with three movers is roughly $100 per hour, or $150 per hour for two trucks with five workers.
- An office relocation costs $50-$250 or more per employee, depending on the number of employees.
What has to be included:
Modular and cubicle furniture should be dismantled, transported, and reassembled by an office moving agency.
Additional expenses include:
- A move consultant may charge $450 for a 1,500-square-foot office space to $3,000 for a 10,000-square-foot one.
- Long carry or the transportation of boxes and equipment through elevators will take longer and cost more.
- An IT firm charges $150 per hour to pack and disconnect voice and data cables. For around $200 per hour, an extra day is taken to run computer and phone lines to each desk. The cost of cabling and moving a 10-person office is around $4,000.
- When getting a price, ask if tipping is anticipated because tipping policies vary by moving company.
According to Movingguru.com, the best way to save money on office moving charges is to get rid of superfluous papers and furniture first.
When it comes to finding an office mover, there are a few things to keep in mind.
Tips for picking a mover may be found at Moving Company Guide.com.
The American Moving and Storage Association offers office relocation advice and services.
Bfi online has a move calculator that can help you estimate moving costs per the square foot.